Top 5 Delicious, Healthy Snacks For Weight Loss and Anti-Aging
In Greek Mythology, Narcissus, a hunter, fell in love with his own image reflected in a pool of water. That pool of water became the death of him as he wouldn't leave his image and therefore died.
Today, valuing how we look and feel is no longer viewed in negative terms. We realize more and more that living healthy and happy is the true key to life. If you are big snacker like me, chances are you are constantly looking for snacks that will not only reduce your waistline, but also provide nutrients that promote a youthful appearance. In this post, I have shared some of my favorite healthy snack ideas along with their nutritional benefits.
1. Nuts — Health Benefits: Along with the almond’s contribution to alkaline levels, they also have a high content of vitamin E, which is a powerful antioxidant. It seeks out all the damaging free radicals in the body and eliminates them since they promote chronic diseases and can be horribly hazardous to the body’s organs .
Tasty Recipe: Fruit and nut trail mix
1 1/4 cup raw almonds.
2 1/4 cup raw cashews.
3 1/4 cup raw walnut halves.
4 Sea salt or kosher salt.
5 1/4 cup golden raisins.
6 1/4 cup dried cranberries.
7 1/4 cup dried apricots.
8 1/4 cup banana chips.
Directions: Mix and Enjoy!
2. Yogurt — Health Benefits: Both dairy and nondairy yogurts (especially those made with nuts) can offer a healthy dose of protein, along with other valuable nutrients, including many of the B vitamins, vitamin D, calcium, potassium, and magnesium.
Tasty Recipe: Strawberry-Chocolate Greek Yogurt Bark
3 cups whole-milk plain Greek yogurt
¼ cup pure maple syrup or honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1½ cups sliced strawberries
¼ cup mini chocolate chips
Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Stir yogurt, maple syrup (or honey) and vanilla in a medium bowl. Spread on the prepared baking sheet into a 10-by-15-inch rectangle. Scatter the strawberries on top and sprinkle with chocolate chips. Freeze until very firm, at least 3 hours. To serve, cut or break into 32 pieces.
To make ahead: Freeze airtight between sheets of parchment for up to 1 month; let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.
Equipment: Parchment paper
3. Chocolate — Health Benefits: Dark chocolate is turning out to be a powerful superfood that ranks right up there among the most anti-inflammatory and antioxidant-rich foods known to mankind. It is loaded with nutrients that can positively affect your health. It contains a good amount of soluble fiber, which has many benefits, including moderating blood glucose levels and lowering cholesterol.
Tasty Recipe: Mug Brownie
1 tablespoon coconut oil
2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut milk or low-fat milk
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
1½ tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
⅛ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons mini chocolate chips (optional)
Place coconut oil in a small microwave-safe coffee mug and microwave on High until melted, 15 to 20 seconds. Cool for 1 minute. Whisk in coconut milk (or milk) and vanilla. Add flour, sugar, cocoa and salt; continue whisking until completely incorporated. Stir in chocolate chips, if using. Microwave on High until firm to the touch and no longer glossy, 30 to 40 seconds. Let stand for 8 to 10 minutes.
4. Blueberries - Health Benefits: Several studies suggest that blueberries and blueberry juice reduce DNA damage, which is a leading driver of aging and cancer.
Tasty Recipe: Blueberry-Banana Overnight Oats
1/2 cup (50 grams) rolled oats
1/2 cup (120 ml) unsweetened almond milk
3/4 tablespoon honey or pure maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup (25 grams) fresh or frozen blueberries
1/4 cup (25 grams) fresh blueberries
1/2 teaspoon hemp seeds
1/2 teaspoon flaxseed meal honey or maple syrup
1. In a 16-ounce mason jar, combine the rolled oats, almond milk, honey, and vanilla extract. Stir, then add the blueberries. Stir again, cover with the lid, and place the jar in the refrigerator overnight or at least 4-5 hours. In the morning, stir up the mixture, add a little more liquid if you prefer a thinner consistency, then top with fresh blueberries, a drizzle of honey.
5. Popcorn - Health Benefits: The health benefits of popcorn include its ability to regulate blood sugar, lower cholesterol levels, improve the digestive process, protect against osteoporosis, prevent cancer, inhibit cognitive decline, prevent premature aging, and help you lose weight. The health benefits of popcorn are mainly derived from its impressive content of fiber, polyphenolic compounds, antioxidant, vitamin B complex, manganese, and magnesium content.
Tasty Recipe: Vanilla and Cinnamon-Sugar Popcorn
1/2 cup unsalted butter 2-3 vanilla beans, sliced lengthwise
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
18 cups popped popcorn Pinch of sea salt
Heat a small saucepan over low heat; add butter and vanilla beans. Cook over low heat until butter takes on vanilla aroma (about 15-20 minutes). Strain butter; keep warm. In a small bowl, combine sugars and cinnamon; set aside. In a large bowl, toss popcorn while drizzling with 1/4 cup vanilla butter (reserve remaining vanilla butter to use on toast or muffins). Sprinkle popcorn with dry mixture. Toss and sprinkle with sea salt.